- Cancer Research, Virology
- Medical University of Vienna, Department of Dermatology
The research team of Assoc. Prof. PD Dr. Alessandra Handisurya is looking for a talented and motivated Master’s Student to work on cellular mechanisms investigating the role of papillomaviruses in skin carcinogenesis.
Evidence exists that certain cutaneous papillomaviruses are involved in the development of keratinocyte (non-melanoma) skin cancer in humans, particularly in genetically predisposed individuals and in the immunosuppressed population. Employing the experimental papillomavirus mouse model we aim at providing experimental proof for or against a contribution of cutaneous papillomavirus infection in the development of skin cancers and at elucidating possible viral tumorigenic mechanisms.
Tasks will include working with laboratory mice (inoculation, bleeding, subcutaneous injections, tissue harvest, UV irradiation), real-time PCR, Western Blot, and immunohistochemical analyses. The selected student will participate in group meetings and progress reports at our institute.
For this project, we are looking for an MSc student with the following skills:
- Bachelor degree in a relevant life science subject, including molecular biology, biochemistry, or biotechnology
- experimental training in molecular cell biology and mouse work
- high accuracy in scientific work and its documentation
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English
Duration: 10-12 months incl. written Master thesis
Compensation: according to the rules and regulations of the funding agency Austrian Science Fund (FWF) (https://www.fwf.ac.at/en/research-funding/personnel-costs/)
Start: as soon as possible
Interested candidates should submit a letter of motivation, detailed curriculum vitae indicating technical skills, at least one letter of recommendation, as well as the contact details of two referees. It is mandatory to attach a protocol from a practical training, where the applicant 1) collected data, 2) analysed data and 3) interpreted data. Please email all application documents to alessandra.handisurya(at)meduniwien.ac.at
- Name: Assoc. Prof. Priv.-Doz. Dr. Alessandra Handisurya
- Telefon: +43-1-40400-77970