PhD thesis opportunity
- Cancer Research, Virology
- Medical University of Vienna, Department of Dermatology
The research team of Assoc. Prof. PD Dr. A. Handisurya is looking for a talented and motivated PhD student to work on cellular mechanisms investigating the role of papillomaviruses in skin diseases and cancer. The candidate will be integrated in the PhD program “Malignant Diseases” at the Medical University of Vienna and participate in group meetings and progress reports at our institute.
Evidence exists that certain cutaneous papillomaviruses are involved in the development of keratinocyte (non-melanoma) skin cancer in humans, particularly in genetically predisposed individuals and in the immunosuppressed population. Employing the experimental papillomavirus mouse model we aim at providing experimental proof for or against a contribution of cutaneous papillomavirus infection in the development of skin cancers and at elucidating possible viral tumorigenic mechanisms.
For this project, we are looking for a PhD student with the following skills:
- master of science (MSc) or equivalent university degree in (molecular) biology, veterinary medicine, biomedical sciences, or a related discipline and fulfilled admission criteria for PhD-students of the Medical University of Vienna
- documented research experience with molecular biology and cell biology methods
- documented research experience with mouse work
- previous experience with flow cytometry and confocal microscopy will be considered as an asset
- high accuracy in scientific work and its documentation
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- basic knowledge of German will be considered as an asset
Duration: 3 years
Compensation: according to the rules and regulations of the funding agency Austrian Science Fund (FWF) (https://www.fwf.ac.at/en/research-funding/personnel-costs/)
The position is available immediately.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of motivation, a detailed curriculum vitae indicating technical skills, scholarships, awards, presentations at meetings, publications (if already applicable at this early stage of the career) as well as a high school graduation diploma. Applicants should include a synopsis of their respective diploma thesis, at least one letter of recommendation, as well as the contact details of two additional referees.
Please email your complete application to alessandra.handisurya(at)meduniwien.ac.at
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting immediately until the position is filled.
- Name: Assoc. Prof. PD Dr. Alessandra Handisurya
- Telefon: +43-1-40400-77970