PhD student position in infection biology
- Virology / microbiology / molecular biology / biochemistry
- University of Applied Sciences Krems
A PhD student position in the field of infection biology is available at the University of Applied Sciences Krems. Our aim is the understanding of the biology of viral infections, their diagnosis and their treatment. In a research project funded by the Austrian Research Fund (FWF) we evaluate a strategy of inhibiting viral infections by small RNAs. To this end we target key viral functions with small interfering RNAs (siRNAs) or artificial microRNAs (amiRNAs).
We are looking for a highly motivated and creative PhD student who is enthusiastic to work in a young and ambitious team.
Specific tasks of the work will include:
- Design and conduction of standard virological experiments (e.g. cell culture, viral vector construction, gene expression analyses, cell-based assays, analysis of in vivo material)
- Transcriptomics experiments
- Detection and quantification of cellular and viral microRNAs
- Support of and collaboration with technical staff, other PhD students and postdocs
- Close collaboration with project partners located in Vienna (University of Veterinary Medicine, University of Vienna, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences) and with a US-based company.
- Master in molecular biology/microbiology/biochemistry
- Solid understanding of the basics of virology and infectious diseases
- Experimental training in molecular cell biology and biochemistry (cell culture, PCR, cloning, gene expression analysis etc.)
- Experience in the conduction of virological experiments desired
Interesting research in an international setting in modern labs situated at a constantly expanding campus harboring several research institutions. The position enables the participation in a young and dynamic research group and opens up the opportunity to work together with internal and external experts.
Starting date: from April 2018 on.
Salary: Salary will be according to FWF regulations.
Please send your application including a motivation letter, a CV, certificates, and names and addresses of 2-3 references (including telephone number and e-mail address) or letters of recommendation by e-mail to: Priv.-Doz. Dr. Reinhard Klein (reinhard.klein(at)fh-krems.ac.at)
- Name: Reinhard Klein