FWF Austrian Science Fund
The FWF's Corporate Policy
"We strengthen science and the humanities
The Austrian Science Fund (FWF) is Austria's central funding organization
for basic research.
The purpose of the FWF is to support the ongoing development of Austrian
science and basic research at a high international level. In this way,
the FWF makes a significant contribution to cultural development, to the
advancement of our knowledge-based society, and thus to the creation of
value and wealth in Austria.
- To strengthen Austria's international performance and capabilities
in science and research as well as the country's attractiveness as a
location for high-level scientific activities, primarily by funding
top-quality research projects for individuals and teams and by enhancing
the competitiveness of Austria's innovation system and its research
- To develop Austria's human resources for science and research in
both qualitative and quantitative terms based on the principle of research-driven
- To emphasize and enhance the interactive effects of science and research
with all other areas of culture, the economy and society, and in particular
to increase the acceptance of science and research through concerted
public relations activities.
- Excellence and competition: The FWF's funding activities focus
on research efforts devoted to generating new knowledge; the quality
of research is assessed by international referees on a competitive basis.
- Independence: Creativity in basic research requires freedom.
Thanks to its legally independent status, the FWF is able to ensure
this freedom and to safeguard science and research from the direct influence
of special interest groups.
- International orientation: The FWF is guided by the standards
of the international scientific community and actively supports cooperation
across national borders.
- Equal treatment of all disciplines: The FWF treats all researchers
according to the same standards, without giving preference to or discriminating
against individual disciplines.
- Transparency and fairness: The FWF makes every effort to avoid
conflicts of interest, to implement checks and balances in all stages
of its procedures, and to communicate its methods and decision-making
process clearly in order to ensure acceptance of its activities.
- Gender mainstreaming: The equal treatment of women and men
in research is a top priority at the FWF, and our organization pursues
this objective through specific programs and gender mainstreaming in
- Equal opportunities: The FWF evaluates grant applications
without regard to the applicant's position or academic degree.
- Ethical standards: The FWF is dedicated to ensuring that the
rules of sound scientific practice and internationally accepted ethical
standards are observed within the fund's sphere of influence.
to the top