University Assistant (post doc) at the Department of Analytical Chemistry
- Analytical chemistry
- Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University Vienna
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 15.11.2020 of a
University Assistant (post doc)
at the Department of Analytical Chemistry
Reference number: 11454
The lab of Lipidomics in Metabolisms and Signaling (https://lipidomics.at/) is located in the heart of Vienna at the Institute of Analytical Chemistry, University Vienna. Besides scientific activities in the development of new and improved measuring methods and analytical separation techniques, research is undertaken in the areas biomedical and preclinical research generating bioanalytical tools for tomorrow already today. We invite applications for a Post-doctoral position / Scientist (m/f) in Bioinformatics. The lab seeks a talented and highly motivated computational scientist to pursue bioinformatics projects in collaboration within the German Network for Bioinformatics-Infrastructure (de.NBI) and the international lipidomics society. The primary focus is the setup of lipidomics search engines and the provision of databases for targeted lipidomics in biomedical research. A successful candidate will work with interdisciplinary teams (clinical, biostatistics, analytical and bioinformatics scientists), will stream line data analysis and integration across various domains. Regular publication of scientific and methodological results is strongly encouraged. Finally, the successful candidate will be able to effectively present complex results in a clear and concise manner that is accessible to a diverse audience of quantitative, experimental, and clinical scientists.
Duration of employment: 6 years
Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
Areas of work:
Active participation in research, teaching and administration. This involves
• Developing and strengthening the independent research profile
• Involvement in research projects / research studies
• International publications and presentations
• Responsibility for project applications and the acquisition of third-party funding
• Preparing / writing a (publication-ready) habilitation thesis
• Independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
• Supervision of students
• Participation in evaluation measures and quality assurance
• Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
• PhD in bioinformatics, biostatistics, computational biology or similar, with a strong publication record.
• A solid understanding of the relevant concepts in mass spectrometry based lipidomics and/or metabolomics.
Enthusiasm for learning more.
• Broad experience in Software development, protection and care of the bioinformatics infrastructure.
• An understanding of the statistical principles behind current best practices in the field.
• Strong experience in the use of a low and high-level programming language such as JAVA, C++ and R, MATLAB, Python or
• Substantiated knowledge in efficient algorithms and data structures
• Strong communication, data presentation and visualization skills. Thereby English is required, German is an advantage.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to handle several concurrent, fast-paced projects.
In addition, we expect the successful candidate to have
• Teaching experience / experience of working with e-learning
• Experience of working on research projects
• Publications in renowned, subject-relevant media (peer-reviewed, depending on the professional standards)
• International presentation experience Desirable qualifications are
• Knowledge of university processes and structures
• Experience abroad
• Experience of supervising students
• Letter of motivation
• Academic curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given)
• Description of research interests and research agenda / of the intended habilitation project (if applicable)
• Methodological competencies description
• Contact details of people who could provide a letter of reference
Main research field Special research fields Importance
Chemistry Analytical chemistry MUST
Educational institution Educational level Special subject Importance
University Chemistry Biotechnology MUST
Language Language level Importance
German Good knowledge MUST
English Excellent knowledge MUST
Type of computer skills Specified computer skills Importance
Basic Knowledge MS Office MUST
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 01.12.2020, mentioning reference number 11454.
For further information please contact Ahrends, Robert +43-1-4277-52304.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Reference number: 11454
- Name: Jobcenter University Vienna