Laboratory Scientist/Staff Scientist
- Protein Production, Purification, Characterization
- Vienna Biocenter Core Facilities GmbH
The VBCF is a non‐profit organization providing scientific infrastructure operated, maintained, and developed by highly qualified experts. We are situated at the Campus Vienna Biocenter, one of Europe’s leading multi-disciplinary biomedical research centers, amongst the institutions the IMP, IMBA, GMI, and the Max F. Perutz Laboratories.
A Laboratory Scientist or Staff Scientist position is available in the Protein Technologies Facility (ProTech). This position will be shared between ProTech and the laboratory of Youssef Belkhadir at the Gregor Mendel Institute (GMI) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (https://www.gmi.oeaw.ac.at/research-groups/youssef-belkhadir/)
The Gregor Mendel Institute of Molecular Plant Biology (GMI) was founded by the Austrian Academy of Sciences in 2000 to promote research excellence in the area of plant molecular biology. It is one of the few institutes worldwide that focuses on basic research using plants. The Belkhadir lab aims at understanding the regulatory mechanisms that integrate the perception of pathogen signals to the mechanic of growth at the level of cell surface receptors.
You will be an essential part of the ProTech team and will be involved in all aspects of protein production, purification, and characterization. Your main area of responsibility will be focused on protein purification and characterization. In addition, half of your working time will be spent on protein characterization projects for the Belkhadir lab, potentially including automation of high-throughput biochemical assays to understand ligand-receptor interactions at the system level.
• Master’s degree plus equivalent experience or Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, Biophysics, or a related field
• Excellent understanding of the theoretical and technical principles as well as practical experience in common techniques in biochemistry and biophysics, with a focus on protein purification and characterization
• Additional practical experience in the areas of protein-carbohydrate interactions or extracellular receptors is a major advantage
• Excellent computer skills, project management, and organizational skills
Excellent command of English (spoken and written) is a must, German skills are an asset. Salary is based on FWF rates, (2433.50-3626.60 EUR brutto/month) and on experience. The position will be initially offered for 1 year with the possibility for a 3 year extension or longer.
Please send your application, including a letter of interest, a detailed CV, and contact details for two references to Peggy Stolt-Bergner by July 30, 2017. Top-ranked candidates will be invited for an interview. For more information, please contact Peggy Stolt-Bergner (peggy.stolt(at)vbcf.ac.at).
- Name: Peggy Stolt-Bergner