PhD position Fuel cells
- Electrochemical engineering
- Graz University of Technology, Institute of Chemical Engineering & Environmental Technology
The PhD position is available within the FWF-funded project „GO DEFC: Graphene oxide based MEAs for the direct ethanol fuel cell“ in the Working Group Fuel Cells at the Institute of Chemical Engineering and Environmental Technology at TU Graz.
In direct alkaline ethanol fuel cells, non-noble metal containing catalysts are used for the conversion of the liquid renewable fuel ethanol. The project focusses on
- Functionalization of graphene oxide and reduced graphene oxide.
- Design of stable and flexible nanohybrid membranes.
- Characterization of graphene-polysaccharide derivate membranes.
- Development of membrane electrode assemblies (MEAs).
The R&D work includes:
- determination of the influence of production parameters and cell design on performance of MEAs and
- the development and comprehensive characterization of functionalized graphene based non-noble metal containing catalysts for ethanol oxidation reaction and oxygen reduction reaction.
The research work is performed as joint effort between Graz University of Technology, University of Maribor and University of Ljubljana.
The ideal candidate should hold an MSc degree in Technical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or equivalent. Basic knowledge of heterogeneous catalysis and electrochemistry, good English communication skills and the ability to integrate in an interdisciplinary and multinational research team are expected.
Experience in using electrochemical characterisation methods (cyclic voltammetry and chronoamperometry using rotating disc electrode, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy) and in interpretation of physicochemical characterizations of catalysts (XPS, XRD, TGA, ICP-OES, TEM-EDX) are an added advantage.
Graz University of Technology aims to increase the proportion of women and therefore qualified female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. Graz University of Technology actively promotes diversity and equal opportunities. People with disabilities and who have the relevant qualifications are expressly invited to apply.
Motivated students are invited to apply for the 3 year PhD position with a gross monthly salary of EUR 2.096,- (14 times a year / 30 hours per week) according to the collective contract for university employees.
Please submit your application including a motivation statement, a CV and two referees compiled into a single PDF file to:
Prof. Viktor Hacker
Start of contract: February 2019
- Name: Prof. Viktor Hacker
- Telefon: 0316-873-8780
- Fax: 0316-873-8782
- Name: Brigitte Hammer
- Telefon: 0316-873-8781
- Fax: 0316-873-8782