3 Postgraduate Research Associates (project employment) / Reference Code 10
- Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Statistics or related disciplines
- University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Center for Analytical Chemistry
The Department of Agrobiotechnology, Center for Analytical Chemistry is currently looking for
3 Postgraduate Research Associates
(Reference code: 10)
Extent of employment: 30 Hours per Week
Duration of employment: 01st April 2019, limited to 31st of March 2022
Work place: 3430 Tulln
Gross monthly salary and pay grade in terms of collective agreement
for university staff (payable 14 times per year): B1, € 2.148,40
We are looking for three PhD candidates within the course of the project.
The PhD-responsibilities and research will be focused on bioinformatics and the successful candidates will be closely working with the associated biologically oriented projects in order to answer the scientific questions of the respective research projects. To this end, the PhD-candidates will develop new methods for data processing and statistical evaluation and implement their algorithms in form of generic and easy-to-use software applications. The developed tools will also be published in scientific journals and presented at scientific conferences.
All associated projects use sophisticated and state-of-the-art analytical equipment in order to generate the required raw-data and to test the respective biological hypotheses. The successful candidate will be integrated into interdisciplinary research teams with highly motivated scientists working in different areas of life-science research such as LC-HRMS analytics, metabolomics and transcriptomics as well as OMICS-platform integration. The research will be carried out at the Campus Technopol Tulln, which is currently hosting around 500 scientists.
- Development of novel software tools for untargeted metabolomics applications (DIL Molecular Networking,…)
- Implementation of algorithm as generic and easy-to-use tools
- Illustration and visualization of the generated data analysis
- Support of other associated projects and project members with automated data processing and statistical data evaluation
- Adaption and incorporation of existing tools into our metabolomics platform
- Documentation of software developments/statistical analysis
- Dissemination of research in scientific journals
Required skills and qualifications
- Degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Statistics or related disciplines
- Strong background in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Statistics and Information Technologies
- Work and communication experience in an interdisciplinary research team
- Ability to work on and solve problems independently
- Team spirit, enthusiasm, creativity and good English skills
- Eligibility to enroll in a PhD programme of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna
- Work permit for Austria
Desirable skills and qualifications
- Good understanding of biology and chemistry
- Experience with one or multiple high-throughput techniques/OMICS disciplines
- Ability to work independently in an international team environment (social skills)
- Experience with untargeted metabolomics/instrumental chemistry
- Experience with R, Python, Java or other programming languages
- Profound statistical knowledge
- Good presentation skills
- Good English skills
- Interdisciplinary projects with funding for a three-year PhD-period
- Supervision of the PhD-thesis in renowned scientific working groups
- Excellent interaction with other research groups and modules of the project
- Possibility to visit (inter-)national research conferences
- Modern and high-end working equipment
Applications can be submitted until: 28th of February 2019
For details please look at the open positions at https://metabolomics-ifa.boku.ac.at/OMICS40Project/.
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna seeks to increase the number of its female faculty and staff members. Therefore qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. In case of equal qualification, female candidates will be given preference unless reasons specific to an individual male candidate tilt the balance in his favour.
Please send your job application to Personnel department, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, 1190 Vienna, Peter-Jordan-Straße 70; E-Mail: kerstin.buchmueller(at)boku.ac.at. (Reference code: 10)
We regret that we cannot reimburse applicants travel and lodging expenses incurred as part of the selection and hiring process.
- Name: Buchmüller Kerstin