Part-time Technical Assistant (50%)
- Molecular Neurobiology
- Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Rare and Undiagnosed Diseases
The Nagy Lab at LBI-RUD, the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Rare and Undiagnosed Diseases in Vienna, seeks to fill the open the position of a
PART-TIME TECHNICAL ASSISTANT, 50% (reference code: #TA2020VN)
Our group focuses on identifying genetic causes of rare disorders affecting the development and function of the nervous system (Nagy, V. et al., NeurolGenet 2019, Nagy, V. et al., Cell Cycle 2015 and Nagy, V. et al., JNeurosci, 2006). Our studies utilize a wide variety of next generation sequencing technologies, microscopic imaging tools, biochemical, cellular and molecular techniques.
The group is looking for a highly motivated and well-organized Technical Assistant, who will be preparing samples for whole-exome sequencing (WES), analyzing/interpreting WES data, and prioritizing potentially disease-causing variants for further functional analysis. This position is suited for individuals who are interested and have experience in genetics, neurology, neuro-development, and bioinformatics and who enjoy working closely with clinicians and wet-bench researchers.
Tasks and responsibilities include:
• Sample preparation for next generation sequencing
• Bioinformatical analysis of whole-exome sequencing data
• Prioritization of potentially deleterious variants
• Segregation of variants within family pedigrees
• Documentation, interpretation and reporting of results
Requirements and desired qualifications:
• Bachelor degree in Life Sciences or a TA/MTA diploma, Master degree is considered a plus
• Strong background and interest in human genetics
• Strong background and interest in neurology
• High accuracy, reliability and flexibility
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and time management
• Ability to work in an international environment
• Written and oral communication skills in English, German fluency is considered a plus
• A challenging position in a meaningful, inspiring, productive, friendly and international setting
• Training in various techniques, opportunity to attend meetings, seminars, symposia, and workshops as well as opportunity to present your own work at various venues
• Opportunity to work from home and flexible working hours
• An excellent work climate and the possibility to join our social (cultural or sports) activities
• A competitive salary: This position is remunerated according to FWF personnel costs (http://www.fwf.ac.at/en/research-funding/personnel-costs) depending on the education and qualifications of the successful applicant.
Our research group is part of the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Rare and Undiagnosed Diseases (LBI-RUD) that is strategically situated in the Neurology Department of the Medical University of Vienna in Vienna General Hospital (Allgemeines Krankenhaus der Stadt Wien), one of Europe’s largest university hospitals in the heart of the city. We have access to state-of-the art technology platforms, close collaborations with geneticists, clinicians and basic researchers, particularly in our renowned partner institutions, namely the Ce-M-M Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, the Medical University of Vienna (MedUni Vienna), and the St. Anna Children’s Cancer Research Institute (CCRI). We are committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, and age.
For more information visit: www.rare-diseases.at
Applicants should please submit: A cover letter (describing your career goals and explaining why you are the ideal candidate for this position), a curriculum vitae and names and contact details of 2-3 referees, as a single PDF file to: application(at)rud.lbg.ac.at using the reference code #TA2020VN.
Deadline for the application is November 01, 2020, 5 pm (Vienna time). Hearings for the position will be held beginning of November, and position is available immediately
- Name: Maximilian Rau
- Telefon: 14016070093