Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d) in the field of Genomics, Group Leader Taher
- Genomics, Molecular Biology
- Graz University of Technology, Institute of Biomedical Informatics
-Publication date: 06th September 2023
-Job Category: Scientific Staff
-Employment Start: November 2023
-Hours per week: 40 h / w
-Application deadline: 09th October 2023
-Job Profile: University Assistant with PhD
-Contract Duration: 36 months
-Employment Type: Temporary
- Research in the field of genomics, with the aim of gaining international scientific prominence and high visibility in this field.
- Planning, execution, and analysis of laboratory experiments and data in the field of genomics.
- Development, extension, optimization, and implementation of assays using the MinION (Oxford Nanopore Technologies) sequencer to characterize eukaryotic genomes and epigenomes.
- Documentation and presentation of research results.
- Preparation of publications at the highest international level.
- Contribute to the operation and expansion of the laboratory at the Institute (purchase of equipment, development and implementation of protocols for calibration, performance verification and operating procedures, establishment of a maintenance program, training of operators).
- Participation in conferences, meetings, and training courses.
- Participation in the acquisition and supervision of research projects (FFG, FWF, EU, industrial projects).
- Supervision of bachelor projects and master theses and participation in dissertation projects.
-Teaching at bachelor and master level.
- Participation in university self-administration.
- Cooperation in evaluation measures.
- Doctoral degree (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, biotechnology or a comparable field.
-Theoretical and practical knowledge of molecular genetic methods.
- Several years of work experience (>3 years) in the molecular genetics laboratory.
- Experience in the generation of NGS libraries. - Skills in the analysis of laboratory results, especially NGS data.
- Willingness to take responsibility for parts of the laboratory operation.
- Creativity and self-motivation to independently familiarize yourself with a topic and develop solutions.
- Strong logical and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent scientific qualifications in the field of genomics.
- Practical laboratory experience sequencing with Oxford Nanopore Technologies.
- Basic knowledge of Linux and bioinformatics.
- Strong listening skills, positive mindset.
- Proactive, solution-oriented, and resourceful work ethic.
- Relevant didactic competences and teaching experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Interesting area of responsibility
- Collegial and friendly working atmosphere
- Flexible working schedule (e.g. possibility for home office, paid lunch break - depending on working hours)
- International training and teaching opportunities
- Seal of quality for in-house advancement of women
- Award for being the most family-friendly company in Styria 2018
- Subsidy for public transport
- University’s sports program
- Shopping Discounts
- Workplace Health Management
- Top research infrastructure and access to the latest technologies
- Exciting opportunities for professional and personal development
- Safe and stable working environment
- Company pension funds
We offer an annual gross salary of at least € 60,926.60 for a fulltime position. An overpayment based on qualification and experience is possible.
Graz University of Technology aims to increase the proportion of women, in particular in management and academic staff, and therefore qualified female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to women if applicants are equally qualified.
Graz University of Technology actively promotes diversity and equal opportunities. Applicants are not to be discriminated against in personnel selection procedures on the grounds of gender, ethnicity, religion or ideology, age, sexual orientation (Anti-discrimination).
People with disabilities and who have the relevant qualifications are expressly invited to apply.
The position will be based at the Institute of Biomedical Informatics (BIOINFO), in the group of Prof. Leila Taher. BIOINFO is an internationally visible institute working in the fields of bioinformatics and genomics.
Graz University of Technology is the longest-established university of technology in Austria. Here, successful teams of students, talented up-and-coming scientists, ambitious researchers and a lively start-up scene enjoy an inspirational environment as well as access to top-quality equipment. And all this in one of the most innovative and livable regions in Europe. TU Graz offers an inspiring working environment with outstanding infrastructure and service-oriented university management.
Graz University of Technology
Dean of the Faculty of Computer Science and Biomedical Engineering
Your application should include:
-A CV, including your list of publications.
-A cover letter stating your motivation to apply, the reason(s) why you should be selected for the position, and the contact information of two referees.
-Copies of relevant certificates and transcripts.
-A one-page outline of a project that you would like to carry out at the Institute of Biomedical Informatics. The successful (m/f/d) candidate will use Oxford Nanopore Technologies sequencing to identify and characterize regulatory elements as well as detect epigenetic modifications in eukaryotic genomes. Relevant literature includes:
Wang et al. Single-molecule long-read sequencing reveals the chromatin basis of gene expression. 2019. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31201211/.
Dhillon et al. Permutational analysis of Saccharomyces cerevisiae regulatory elements. 2020. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32775697/.
For questions please contact leila.taher(at)tugraz.at. Please note that we only accept applications submitted via our online application portal under:
Applications sent by e-mail or post will not be considered.
- Name: Leila Taher