Excellence in research arises from a continuous comparison on an international level. This fundamental principle applies not only to researchers, but also to funding agencies. That is why the FWF is moving a step forward and establishes an international Scientific Advisory Board to challenge its funding activities with state-of-the-art expertise from world-renowned researchers.
The Scientific Advisory Board will provide overall advice and expertise to the FWF, including pioneering and advancing future research funding strategies. Indeed, the overall goals are to continuously improve the already high quality of the funding decisions and governance structures; to revise, optimise and advance the funding portfolio; and to further improve the dialogue between science and society.
The Scientific Advisory Board is comprised of seven members with high international reputations from leading innovation nations. They represent various research fields and can draw on many years of research policy expertise and interests. They will meet in person once a year with the Executive Board and the Supervisory Board of the FWF for an intense discussion to gain recommendations on the future development of groundbreaking basic research in Austria.
Members of the international Scientific Advisory Board
- Professor of Educational Sociology and Labor Market Research, Humboldt University Berlin
- President of the WZB Berlin Social Science Center
- Professor of Structural Biology, Imperial College London
- Panel Member of the European Research Council (ERC)
- Professor of Thermotronics, ETH Zurich
- Former President of the ETH Zurich
- Professor of Prehistoric Archaeology, Free University Berlin
- President of the Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz, Berlin
- Professor of History of Science, Technology and Environment; KTH Royal Institute of Technology Stockholm
- Member of the Swedish Government's Science Board
- Professor of Mathematics, Oxford University
- Council Member of the Royal Society, United Kingdom
Dymph van de Boom
- Professor of Educational Sciences, University of Amsterdam
- Former Rector of the University of Amsterdam and the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
The Austrian Science Fund FWF
The Austrian Science Fund (FWF) is Austria's central funding organisation for basic research as well as arts-based research. The purpose of the FWF is to support the ongoing development of basic research at a high international level. In this way, the FWF makes a significant contribution to cultural development, to the advancement of our knowledge-based society, and thus to the creation of value and wealth in Austria.