The number of reviews required before a positive decision can be taken depends primarily on the amount of funding requested and the type of funding programme in question:
- Stand-Alone projects / clinical research / arts-based research: Up to a requested funding amount of EUR 400,000.00, at least 2 reviews are required. At least one additional review is required for each additional EUR 200,000.00 requested.
- Women’s and mobility programmes: at least 2 reviews
- SFB: depending on the size and thematic composition, 3–4 reviews for outline proposals, 5–6 reviews for hearings and extensions
- doc.funds: at least 3 (for extensions of doctoral programmes 5–6 reviews)
- START and Wittgenstein: at least 3 reviews for START applications and at least 4 for Wittgenstein Award nominations
- Stand-alone publications: at least 1 review
- The number of reviews required for all other programmes, such as commissioned pro-grammes or international programmes, depends on the particular agreements in force for the programme. In all cases, however, at least 2 reviews are required. For more detailed information, see the application guidelines for the respective programme.
The number of reviews required may be increased for applications that cover several fields of research.
2Applications can be recommended for rejection on the basis of fewer reviews than would be required for approval within the respective funding programme if the review(s) received already clearly indicate(s) that the application cannot be approved. In such cases, the consent of the reporter, alterante and vice president in charge of handling the application is required.