The Austrian National Foundation for Research, Technology and Development entrusts the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) and the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG) with the implementation of the new research and technology funding programme “Quantum Research and Technology” (QFTE). The FWF and FFG offer a coordinated funding portfolio for fundamental research, application-oriented research and development and the development of human resources. A total operating budget of approx. €5.5m is available for this, of which approx. €1.5m is allocated to the FWF and approx. €4m to the FFG.
Background to QFTE
Austria already ranks internationally among the outstanding locations for quantum research and quantum technology. In order to strengthen Austria’s position in this future field, the Austrian government is supporting the new priority with funds from the Austrian National Foundation. The aims of the QFTE programme are to research new findings and new applications and to expand the international competitiveness of Austria as a business location through thematic leadership.
At European level, since 2016, an “FET (future and emerging technologies) Quantum Technologies Flagship Programme” has also been developed, the ramp-up phase of which will begin in 2018. The flagship is a visionary research project with a duration of up to ten years and an EU budget of €500m. A further €500m will be provided by companies and research institutions in EU member states.
Together, the FWF and the FFG are offering a broad and complementary range of support measures. The demands of Austrian research players are taken into account in many ways.
Target group of the FWF call
- Austrian research institutions with the right to award doctorates.
- No limit to the number of applications that can be submitted by a research institution. A research institution can thus submit several applications.
- Applications can be made for personnel costs for postdocs sent to research companies.
- Knowledge transfer from basic research in quantum physics to the development and application of quantum technologies, and vice versa.
- Positioning of scientifically highly qualified researchers in the field of the application of quantum technologies.
- Researchers thus have career prospects in the corporate sector as an alternative to a purely academic career.
- Experience for researchers in companies.
- The application is submitted by an Austrian research institution which sends a researcher (postdoc) to a company to be described in the application. Applications are therefore processed via Profi (project promotion through institutions).
- 25% of the research project must be carried out at the applying research institution and 75% in a company with its registered office or branch in Austria.
- The research institution and company sign a cooperation agreement
- Only FWF personnel cost rates can be applied for:
- Postdoc rates, or
- with two years’ postdoc experience, the senior postdoc rate according to the personnel costs table valid for Profi.
Maximum 3 years
- Personnel costs for a postdoc, according to the FWF personnel cost table
- General project costs amounting to 15% of the requested personnel costs. This lump sum can be used by the researcher for material, travel and publication costs.
- Start of the call: 10 April 2018
- End of the call: 20 June 2018
- Application language: English
- by the Executive Board of the FWF in November 2018
- on the basis of an international review
- ca. 6 projects can be supported by the FWF
Cooperation with the FFG and the AWS
In parallel with the 2018 call, the FFG offers funding for cooperative R&D projects within the framework of QFTE. Research institutions and companies jointly define an application-oriented research and development project in the field of quantum research and technology. The minimum requirement is the participation of one Austrian company in each project. The maximum duration is three years.
Information on application for the cooperative R&D projects at the FFG can be found here.
The Austrian Business Service (AWS) is also available for start-up financing, advice on intellectual property rights and technology research and transfer, for example.
Contact person in the FFG
+43 5 7755 - 5081