Crisis Support for Researchers from Ukraine

Update on crisis support (13 April 2022)
We would like to inform you that the number of applications received since the crisis support was announced now exceeds the financial resources available. For this reason, we ask for your understanding that the FWF cannot consider any further applications for crisis support and this option is now closed. The available resources will be allocated shortly. Refugee researchers can find alternative support options on the website of Austria’s Agency for Education and Internationalisation (OeAD) at or directly from universities and other research institutions in Austria.

In general
This measure serves to provide support for Ukrainian researchers who have fled Ukraine or who are unable to return to Ukraine because of the war. These persons may be employed in ongoing FWF projects for a maximum of 12 months on the basis of requests for additional funding.

Target group 
Researchers, including technical personnel

  • Persons who have fled Ukraine who have a temporary right of residence as displaced persons in Austria ("Identity Card for Displaced Persons")
  • Ukrainian citizens who have resided in Austria for a maximum of 2 years
  • Maximum number of persons per FWF project: 2
  • Maximum duration of employment: 12 months per person

Eligible funding categories

All funding categories that include the option of funding project personnel (except for the Schrödinger Programme)

Application materials

  • Free-form explanation of research content (maximum 3 pages including figures and tables) with consideration of the following aspects:
    • Competences of the person(s) in relation to the planned activities in the project
    • Involvement of the person(s) in the project (incl. tasks within the project)
    • Contribution of the person(s) regarding the objectives of the project

  • Requested costs as per FWF standard rates
  • Free-form CV(s) of the person(s) to be employed
  • Passport copy (copies)
  • Free-form confirmation by the research institution that the person(s) can be employed
  • Copy of the “Identity Card for Displaced Persons” or copy of the valid residence permit (regardless of the expiry date). If the ID card has not been issued yet, a current Austrian residence registration form or an informal confirmation by the principal investigator concerning the current residency status in Austria must be enclosed. The “Identity Card for Displaced Persons” must subsequently be submitted by no later than the commencement of employment.

FAQ Crisis Support and Projects with Cooperation Partners in Russia