Postdoc – Chemical Biology – University of Vienna
- Chemical Biology, Peptide Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Pharmacology, Medicinal Chemistry, Neuropeptides, Molecular Biology
- University of Vienna
- Closing Date
We seek for talented postdoctoral fellows with strong experience in peptide and medicinal chemistry and/or pharmacology and molecular biology to join the Neuropeptide Research Group at the Institute of Biological Chemistry at the University of Vienna. The group is focused on the exploration of nature's biodiversity to develop advanced molecular probes and to discover novel therapeutic leads with applications in pain, cancer, memory, autism, gastrointestinal disorders and neurodegenerative diseases. The successful applicant will be responsible for design and development of molecular probes, discovery of therapeutic leads as well as drug target validation.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Design and synthesis of peptides, molecular probes and organic building blocks
• Pharmacological and biophysical characterisation of ligands
• Structure-activity relationship studies of molecular probes and therapeutic leads
• Bioassays to drive drug discovery efforts and target validation
• Supervision and training of students and staff members
• Liaising with team members to promote the achievement of immediate project goals
• Preparation of research reports, manuscripts for publications and oral presentations
• Support with administrative tasks, teaching and grant applications
• Participation at research meetings and maintenance of an accurate lab book
• Chemical purchases and equipment management
• Any other duties as reasonably directed by your supervisor
• PhD in the area of Synthetic Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Pharmacology or Biochemistry
• Experience with peptide synthesis and characterisation
• Experience in structure-activity relationship studies
• Experience in molecular biology and pharmacology
• Well-developed laboratory and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and across disciplines
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• Experience with medicinal chemistry and peptide drug development
• Experience in GPCR pharmacology (IP-1, cAMP, binding, BRET, FLIPR assays)
• Experience with recombinant expression systems for peptide/protein production
• Experience with peptide structure determination by NMR
• Experience with animal models (i.e. DSS, TNBS models)
• Experience with phage display
• Written and verbal communication skills in German
Please email your application package (cover letter, CV, statement addressing the individual selection criteria, contact details of two referees) to markus.muttenthaler(at)univie.ac.at with 'Application for Postdoc - Chemical Biology' in the email subject line.
THE UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA
Open to new ideas. Since 1365. The University of Vienna (15 faculties, 4 centres, >150 fields of study, ~9,500 members of staff, >90,000 students) is a research university with high international visibility and a wide range of degree programs. The University of Vienna is committed to fundamental and applied research, research-led teaching, career development for young researchers and to a dialogue with economy and society. Appointments of high quality researchers is an important strategy of the University of Vienna to contribute to the education of future generations and to the society’s ability to innovate.
The Department of Chemistry with its young and diverse faculty offers a highly attractive environment for young researchers from around the world starting at the level of PhD students and postdocs towards junior group leaders that establish their own research field here. It is one of the largest postgraduate training centres in Austria and this highly intellectual and well-equipped environment is complemented by strong career development programs of the University of Vienna and other research organisations in Vienna.
The position will be part of Neuropeptide Research Group at the Institute of Biological Chemistry. The Institute of Biological Chemistry is a centre for peptide and protein chemistry established in 2011. It is part of the Department of Chemistry at the University of Vienna with a strong link to the Medical University of Vienna (Centre for Physiology and Pharmacology), the Max F. Perutz Laboratories with their focus on Molecular and Structural Biology, and the Department of Food Chemistry and Toxicology. Together these departments form an outstanding environment for research at the interface of synthetic chemistry, molecular biology, pharmacology and medicine.
- Main contact
- Name: Markus Muttenthaler
- Phone: 01427770515