On behalf of the “Dr. Gottfried and Dr. Vera Weiss Science Foundation”, the FWF has issued a new call for project proposals in the field of anaesthesiology and related disciplines. In the 2017 call, funding is available for projects that address anaesthesiology-related research questions in the following contexts:
- Intensive care;
- Pain management and palliative care;
- Emergency medicine.
The call is open to researchers who work in the fields listed above. The proposed research must have the potential to generate improvements and advances in one of those fields.
Goals/purpose of the prize
- Direct funding for top-notch science and research activities
- Support for junior researchers
Requirements, duration and amount of funding
“Weiss Prize” applications can be submitted to the following FWF funding programmes: Stand-Alone Projects, Clinical Research (KLIF) or Erwin Schrödinger Fellowships.
In this call, the requirements for applicants as well as the amount and duration of funding are the same as the FWF's requirements and limits for the above-mentioned programmes.
However, the applicant is required to fill out an additional form(pdf, 0.9MB) explaining the relevance of the application to the specific theme of the call.
Additional information on the call
In stand-alone projects and KLIF projects funded by the foundation, general project costs will be increased to 10%; for the return phase following a Schrödinger fellowship (where applicable), an additional 5% in general project costs will be approved.
In this call, proposals can be submitted and approved in combination with one or two ongoing/submitted projects in the FWF's Stand-Alone Projects programme, International Programmes (bilateral projects) and Clinical Research (KLIF) programme.
When and how to apply
- Start: 6 March 2017
- Deadline: 31 May 2017 (date of postmark)
- Applications are to be submitted in accordance with the application guidelines for the Stand-Alone Projects, Clinical Research (KLIF) or Erwin Schrödinger programme (plus the additional form mentioned above).
- Funding decisions will be made by the management of the “Weiss Foundation” on the basis of the FWF Board's suggestions.
- The decisions can be expected in December 2017.
The Weiss Foundation will make a total of €200,000 available for this call. Should the resources required for a project that is considered worthy of funding exceed the amount provided by the foundation, the FWF will fund the difference from its own budget.
Applications that receive outstanding reviews but cannot be funded by the foundation will undergo the FWF's usual procedures; in such cases, however, the special arrangement regarding additional general project costs will no longer apply.
For further details on the objectives of the “Dr. Gottfried and Dr. Vera Weiss Science Foundation” and on the decision-making procedure, please see Information on the Gottfried and Vera Weiss Science Foundation(pdf, 213KB)
- Applications to the Stand-Alone Projects programme: Mario Mandl or the relevant scientific project officers in the FWF's specialist departments
- Applications to the Clinical Research (KLIF) programme: Iris Fortmann
- Applications to the Erwin Schrödinger Fellowship programme (with a return phase): FWF employees in the Strategy – Career Development department