Over the past years, Vienna has developed into one of the leading centres of population genetics. The Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics has been founded to provide a training opportunity for PhD students to build on this excellent on-site expertise.
We invite applications from highly motivated and outstanding students with a love for evolutionary research and a background in one of the following disciplines: evolutionary genetics, functional genetics, theoretical or experimental population genetics, bioinformatics, mathematics, statistics.
• Adaptation from reduced genetic variation.
• Adaptation to complex environments.
• Inference of selection signatures from time-series data.
• Long-term dynamics of local Drosophila populations.
• Making sense of whole-genome polymorphism data.
• The role of deleterious mutations for adaptation and maintenance of variation.
• Unraveling the impact of gene flow during species divergence.
Only complete applications (application form, CV, motivation letter, university certificates, indication of the two preferred topics in a single pdf) received by April 01, 2024 will be considered. Two letters of recommendation need to be sent directly by the referees.
PhD students will receive a monthly salary based on currently € 2.464,80 before tax according to the regulations of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
All information about the about available topics, the training program and the application procedure can be found at www.popgen-vienna.at
population genetics, evolutionary biology, biostatistics
Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics
01. August 2024
01. April 2024
Dr. Julia Hosp