The funding program is aimed at researchers from all disciplines. For details, please see the respective application guidelines.
International Principal Investigator Projects are intended to fund closely integrated projects in which researchers in Austria and Japan make substantial scientific contributions, creating added value through international cooperation.
The Joint Seminars program funds workshops or seminars focusing on specific topics that help strengthen existing networks and initiate international Principal Investigator Projects.
Funding period and funding amount
- International Principal Investigator Projects with Japan:
- FWF: up to 36 months
- JSPS: up to 24 months
- Joint Seminars: 2–5 days
For international Principal Investigator Projects with Japan, the application requirements of the FWF programs Principal Investigator Projects and Clinical Research apply to FWF applicants.
For bilateral seminars or workshops (Joint Seminars) with Japan, the application requirements and application guidelines for Joint Seminars apply to FWF applicants.
- Applications are reviewed independently by FWF and JSPS.
- International Principal Investigator Projects or Joint Seminars are approved only if both organizations recommend funding the respective application based on the review process.
- Proposals are submitted online using the electronic application portal elane.
- Parallel applications for the respective parts of each project are submitted separately; the national rules of the FWF and the JSPS apply.
- Applications must be submitted by the national deadlines.
Austrian Science Fund (FWF)