The funding program is aimed at researchers from all disciplines.
The Digital Publications program offers researchers funding for digital formats such as apps, wiki-based publications, annotated scientific databases, multi-media web-based publications (e.g., audio, video, animation), etc., to help make these publications more accessible to the public.
Additional program-specific information
In the Digital Publications funding program, publications on the results of FWF-funded projects that have already been subject to FWF's quality control procedure qualify for an accelerated decision-making process. In addition, the publisher must submit two positive, relevant reviews to the FWF that meet the FWF’s decision-making requirements.
Applications for an accelerated decision may only be submitted if:
- The intended publication is the result of a project funded by the FWF
- The publisher has subjected the application for the digital publication to an international peer review process
Funding period and funding amount
- The publication must be published within 36 months of approval of the grant.
- The maximum funding amount is €50,000.
- Presentation of results of basic research of international relevance
- Simultaneous open-access publication required
- Proof of long-term financing for at least 6 years
- For further details, please see the application guidelines.
Decision by the Scientific Board
Rolling submissions using the online application portal elane
Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
Is the open-access publication of books as PDFs considered “digital publication?”
Open-access publication of books cannot be funded under this program. Open-access publication of books can only be funded if it is done simultaneously with the publication of the book. Applications for this are submitted to the Book Publications program.