The funding program is aimed at researchers working in the humanities at universities and non-academic research institutions.
- Providing, from a humanities perspective, new knowledge and understanding of the origins, sources, and causes of the major philosophical, cultural, social, economic, religious, political, and environmental crises that Europe and the world faced in the past and are facing today
- Highlighting the complex role of cultural and social practices in shaping responses to crises but also, sometimes, in creating them, and analyzing if and how cultural traditions problematize the concept of crisis as a fundamental and critical moment for society and for communities
- Exploring the impact of culture on resilience in the face of current and future crises
- Exploring how the humanities can contribute to the escalation or de-escalation and resolution of crises
Additional program-specific information
Funding period and funding amount
The funding period is 24–36 months.
The requirements and specifications for the FWF program Principal Investigator Projects apply.
- Decided by the Scientific Board based on a recommendation of the Call Secretariat
- Expected November 2024
Each proposal must involve a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 researchers from at least 4 different participating partner countries. A joint proposal must be submitted by the project coordinator to the central Call Secretariat using the EPSS system.
For details, please see the call text published on the CHANSE website.
In addition to the submission to the Call Secretariat, the proposal must also be uploaded to elane, the FWF's application portal, before the specified deadline to ensure eligibility. For details, please see the document “National eligibility requirements,” also on the CHANSE website.
This program is subject to a two-stage application procedure.
- Deadline for submission of pre-proposals:
September 21, 2023 2:00 pm CEST - Call Secretariat
September 21, 2023 2:00 pm CEST - FWF
- Deadline for submission of full proposals:
March 26, 2024 2:00 pm CET - Call Secretariat
March 26, 2024 2:00 pm CET - FWF
Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
To help researchers form research consortia, the Call Secretariat offers applicants an online search tool for finding cooperation partners. This can be used both by projects looking for partners and by partners looking for projects.