Consortia of 3–7 internationally outstanding researchers at one or more Austrian research institutions
The aim of the program is to give researchers the opportunity to pursue particularly innovative, original, and/or high-risk ideas that are often not sufficiently supported by traditional funding instruments. To be eligible, these ideas must have the potential to transform a field of research and/or create a paradigm shift within or across disciplines.
The program is particularly open to interdisciplinary teams, researchers involved in arts-based research who apply aesthetic and artistic methods, and transdisciplinary approaches that involve non-academic participants from outside the scientific community.
Funding period and funding amount
- €3 to 6 million for 60 months
- Continuation of the project depends on an interim review after three years
- Consortium of 3 to 7 researchers or arts-based researchers with outstanding research performance by FWF standards
- High scientific quality by international standards
- At least one-third of the consortium members must be women
- For further details, please see the application guidelines.
- Single-stage submission with three-stage peer review
- Decision made by the Scientific Board based on the recommendation of a multidisciplinary international jury; recommendations are made based on international peer review as well as hearings where applicable.
Number of eligible projects
Approximately 4–6 projects
Austrian Science Fund (FWF)