The funding program is aimed at researchers working in the field of personalized medicine at universities, non-academic research institutions, and research departments in related sectors.
EP PerMed aims to improve health outcomes within sustainable healthcare systems through research and the development, innovation, and implementation of personalized medicine approaches for the benefit of patients, citizens, and society.
Funding period and funding amount
Up to 36 months
Information on the current call “Identification or Validation of Targets for Personalized Medicine Approaches (PMTargets)”
This call is intended to fund research projects in all disease areas aiming at identifying or validating targets for personalized medicine approaches in combination with development of companion biomarkers. Consortia must be transnational, interdisciplinary, and cross-sectorial; the application must clearly describe the personalized medicine perspective of the proposed research.
The aim of the call is to:
- Support research projects aiming at identifying or validating targets for personalized medicine approaches in combination with development of companion biomarkers or other markers to allow for monitoring of treatment outcomes and patient stratification
- Encourage and enable interdisciplinary collaborations by combining pre-clinical and clinical research in translational projects, engaging a range of other relevant disciplines such as bioinformatics/health informatics/data research, ELSA research, implementation research, or health economics research
- Encourage cross-sectorial collaborations by including the private sector (e.g. SMEs, small and medium-sized enterprises), industry, as well as regulatory/HTA agencies, and patient organizations
Each proposal must involve a minimum of three partner groups from at least three different participating partner countries. A joint proposal must be submitted by the project coordinator to the central Call Secretariat. For further details and review criteria, please see the call text.
- The researchers are funded by their respective national/regional funding organizations.
- Funding organizations from the following 24 countries are planning to take part in the call: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Türkiye
The current list of potential participating countries and the latest information can be found on the EP PerMed website.
Decided by the Scientific Board based on a recommendation of the Call Secretariat
All applications must be submitted using the Call Secretariat's online application system. Please see the PMTargets website for the link to the application system.
Application and review are carried out in a two-stage procedure.
- Application deadline for pre-proposals: March 5, 2024 (5:00 pm local time Vienna)
- Application deadline for full proposals: June 20, 2024 (5:00 pm local time Vienna)
- Decision on full proposals: expected in October 2024
In addition to the application to the Call Secretariat, administrative and financial data as well as the academic abstracts for the proposal must be submitted to the FWF on elane (in compliance with the FWF application guidelines for Principal Investigator Projects). In the pre-proposal phase, applications must be submitted under the program category “PIK - International Projects (Pre-Proposals)” (deadline: March 6, 2024, 2:00 pm local time Vienna). For the full proposal phase, please select the program category “PIN - International Projects” (deadline: June 21, 2024, 2:00 pm local time Vienna). Both steps are required.
Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
- Please note that the application mode for this funding program has switched from ad personam funding to funding through research institutions (PROFI mode). In PROFI mode, applications must be approved for submission by the research institution; for this purpose, research institutions must be registered in the FWF's research institution portal
- For further information, please see PMTargets.
- If you have specific questions about the budget, the criteria, or individual funding organizations’ requirements, please consult the funding organization directly. Funding organization contacts as well as the national or regional requirements of the individual funding organizations are available in the call text on the PMTargets website.