The funding program is aimed at all Austrian universities pursuant to the Universities Act (UG) and all Austrian universities of applied sciences pursuant to the Universities of Applied Sciences Act (FHG), where at least 5 researchers or arts-based researchers join to form a multi-institutional consortium to implement a collaborative project. project.
The main goal of the program is to fund the establishment and expansion of structured doctoral programs based on international standards, developed and organized jointly by universities and universities of applied sciences. These cooperative training and research structures are intended to help provide doctoral students with an excellent education in the long term.
At the same time, the funding also supports the development of research staff at universities of applied sciences according to the Universities of Applied Sciences Studies Act (FHG) and strengthens the cooperation between universities of applied sciences and universities.
Long term, the program aims to interlink basic and applied research and help establish application-oriented basic research.
Funding period and funding amount
Personnel costs for up to 5 doctoral candidates plus training costs of up to €5,000 per doctoral candidate per year for a total of four years
- Consortium of at least 5 researchers from universities and universities of applied sciences with outstanding research records by FWF standards
- A target of 40% of the underrepresented gender in the consortium; the composition of the consortium is one of the deciding factors in the review and evaluation process.
- Only joint applications by at least one university pursuant to the Universities Act (UG) and at least one university of applied sciences pursuant to the Universities of Applied Sciences Act (FHG)
- Basic funding by the participating research institutions, i.e. provision of all necessary infrastructure and ensuring institutional affiliation
- Involvement of doctoral students in a focused and consistent research framework; education through research
- Existing structures and procedures for:
- Admission and selection of doctoral candidates
- Supervision and monitoring, suitable working conditions
- Completion of the doctoral program
- Based on and oriented towards international standards
- No applications accepted for additional funding for ongoing FWF-funded projects from the Doctoral Programs, doc.funds, or and doc.funds.connect programs
- For further details, please see the application guidelines.
- Late November 2023 by the FWF Scientific Board based on the recommendation of the international doc.funds.connect jury; recommendations are made on the basis of an international peer review and hearings
- Recommendations are prepared in the doc.funds.connect jury meeting on November 23 and 24, 2023
Number of eligible projects
About 3–4 projects funded per call
Austrian Science Fund (FWF)