The 2024 award is aimed at researchers conducting basic research in meteorology.
On behalf of the Gottfried and Vera Weiss Science Foundation, the FWF is issuing a call for project proposals in 2024. The 2024 call focuses on projects in the field of meteorology and related disciplines. The research must be relevant to the goal of improving and advancing these fields. Funding will be provided especially for projects that address meteorolgical issues in the following contexts:
- Climate research / climate crisis / climate impact research
- Atmospheric research
- Environmental research / environmental problems / sustainability
Additional program-specific information
Applications for the Gottfried and Vera Weiss Award can be submitted under the FWF programs:
Applications submitted for this call are not subject to the restriction on the number of projects in progress.
Funding period and funding amount
- Funding duration and funding amount are program-specific.
- For Principal Investigator Projects funded by the Foundation, the general project costs are increased to 10%.
- Projects from the ESPRIT or Erwin Schrödinger programs receive 5% more budget.
The requirements and specifications for the FWF programs Principal Investigator Projects, ESPRIT or Erwin Schrödinger apply, as well as the Supplementary Application Guidelines for this subject-specific funding.
- Decision by the Dr. Gottfried and Dr. Vera Weiss Science Foundation based on a recommendation by the Scientific Board
- €200,000 in funding provided by the Foundation; if the required funding amount for an approved project exceeds this amount, the FWF will cover the difference.
- Proposals that have received outstanding reviews that cannot be funded by the Foundation will funded by the FWF (but without the increase in general project costs).
- Annually in November/December
- Proposals are submitted online using the electronic application portal elane.
- The application guidelines for Principal Investigator Projects, ESPRIT or Erwin Schrödinger apply.
- The relevance of the proposal to the topic of this subject-specific call must be detailed in an additional form on elane.
- The Supplementary Application Guidelines include additional specifics of the call.
Dr. Gottfried and Dr. Vera Weiss Science Foundation, Austrian Science Fund (FWF)