This funding program is aimed at researchers from all disciplines. Any thematic restrictions are indicated in the funding information for each country-specific collaboration.
The program gives researchers the opportunity work together with project partners in selected partner countries to carry out thematically clearly defined research projects limited to a specific duration, and to devote themselves to investigating individual research questions.
Additional program-specific information
The funding program Principal Investigator Projects International consists of country-specific calls (country-specific ollaborations). An overview of all country-specific collaborations can be found in the margin column or in the program portfolio.
Funding period and funding amount
- Depending on the participating country, up to 36 or 48 months
- Depending on the proposed research, project-specific funds (personnel and non-personnel costs) can be applied for. The FWF’s review process for Principal Investigator Projects (PAT) applies, or, in the case of clinical research projects, the process for the Clinical Research (KLP) program; the processes used by the FWF’s international partner organizations may also apply.
- The applicant must have the academic qualifications needed to lead the proposed research project
- Project to be carried out at an Austrian research institution with the necessary infrastructure
- Integrated project in cooperation with project partners in selected participating countries
- For further details, please see the application guidelines or the funding information for each country-specific collaboration
- Decided by the Scientific Board based on an international review process
- Five approval meetings per year
Submissions (rolling or deadline-dependent, depending on the country) using the electronic application portal elane
Austrian Science Fund (FWF)