The funding program is aimed at all Austrian research institutions entitled to grant doctoral degrees, where at least 5 researchers or arts-based researchers join to form a consortium to implement a project.
The main objective is to support excellent research or arts-based research training for doctoral students in existing doctoral programs that have been in place for at least 2 years.
In the long term, it is intended to contribute to reinforcing research orientation and to consolidating existing education and training structures for highly qualified junior researchers.
Funding period and funding amount
Personnel costs for 5 to 10 doctoral candidates plus training costs of up to €5,000 per doctoral candidate position per year for a total of 4 years
- Consortium of at least 5 researchers from universities and universities of applied sciences with outstanding research records by FWF standards
- A target of 30% of the underrepresented gender in the consortium; the composition of the consortium is one of the deciding factors in the review and evaluation process.
- The existing doctoral program must have been running for at least 2 years on the date of the application deadline.
- Binding basic funding by the lead research institution (and any partner research institution(s)), i.e. provision of all necessary infrastructure, financial means for ongoing operation, and ensuring institutional affiliation
- Involvement of doctoral students in a focused and consistent research framework; education through research
- Existing structures and procedures for:
- Admission and selection of doctoral candidates
- Supervision and monitoring, suitable working conditions
- Completion of the doctoral program
- Based on and oriented towards international standards
- No applications accepted for additional funding for ongoing FWF-funded projects from the Doctoral Programs, doc.funds, or and doc.funds.connect programs
- For further details, please see the application guidelines.
- Late November 2023 by the FWF Scientific Board based on the recommendation of the international doc.funds jury; recommendations are made on the basis of an international peer review and hearings
- Recommendations are prepared in the doc.funds jury meeting on November 23 and 24, 2023
Number of eligible projects
About 4–5 projects funded per call
Austrian Science Fund (FWF) (financed with funds from the Fonds Zukunft Österreich)