The funding program is aimed at researchers working in the field of quantum research and quantum technology at universities, non-academic research institutions, and research departments in related sectors. The advancement of women and junior researchers is particularly important to the FWF, and these target groups are explicitly encouraged to apply to the relevant funding programs.
The objective of this subject-specific funding is to promote excellent, transformative, and innovative basic research in the fields of quantum physics and quantum computing as well as next-generation high-performance computing, to maintain Austria’s competitiveness in the EU and worldwide, and to successfully apply quantum technology to develop innovative products and services.
Additional program-specific information
Proposals for the Quantum Austria funding initiative can be submitted to the following FWF programs:
- Principal Investigator Projects: November 26, 2021 until June 30, 2024
- Erwin Schrödinger: November 26, 2021 until June 30, 2024
A budget of around €30 million is available for basic research projects funded by the FWF.
Eligible for funding are projects with concisely defined objectives and methodology, and which are subject to duration and funding limits pursuant to the provisions of the abovementioned FWF programs. Applications must be related to the field of quantum research and quantum technology.
Researchers can also apply for FFG programs as part of the Quantum Austria initiative.
Funding period and funding amount
- Funding period: variable. Projects must be completed by March 31, 2026, and all accounting and reporting must be completed no later than one month after the end of the project.
- Funding amount: up to €1 million (depending on program)
The requirements and specifications for the FWF programs Principal Investigator Projects or Erwin Schrödinger as well as the Supplementary Application Guidelines apply for this subject-specific funding initiative.
- Decided by the Scientific Board based on an international review process
- Five approval meetings per year
- Principal Investigator Projects and Erwin Schrödinger: The application deadline is June 30, 2024, 2:00 pm local time Vienna/Austria, using the electronic application portal elane.
- For both programs, we recommend contacting the FWF in advance to inquire about available project duration periods (projects must be completed by March 31, 2026).
- The application guidelines for Principal Investigator Projects or Erwin Schrödinger apply.
- An additional form describing the proposal’s relevance to the topic of the call must be submitted on elane.
- The Supplementary Application Guidelines include additional specifics of the call.
European Union – NextGenerationEU