The program is aimed at teams of 3 to 5 internationally outstanding researchers from all scientific disciplines, in particular from the humanities, social sciences, and cultural sciences, working at Austrian research institutions.
Research Group funding is mainly intended to support joint multidisciplinary or interdisciplinary projects conducted by outstanding researchers. Research Groups establish research on an innovative topic in Austria for the first time or expand or supplement existing key research focuses at research institutions.
Funding period and funding amount
Up to €1.5 million for 5 years
- Consortium of 3 to 5 active researchers with outstanding research records by FWF standards
- A target of 30% of the underrepresented gender in the consortium; the composition of the consortium is one of the deciding factors in the review and evaluation process.
- For further details, please see the application guidelines.
- Decision by the Scientific Board based on international peer review
- Decision on pre-proposal in the spring of the year following submission
- If the pre-proposal is approved, applicants are invited to submit a full proposal.
- Funding decision on full proposals usually made at the last Scientific Board meeting of the same year
Austrian Science Fund (FWF) (financed with funds from the Fonds Zukunft Österreich)