The equality plan of the FWF, which was developed in line with EU requirements (Horizon Europe), aims at considering diversity and gender aspects in research funding and dismantling barriers to equal opportunities and participation in order to facilitate the balanced participation of all genders. The application rate of researchers who identify as non-binary should be increased according to their potential. The strong support of the FWF executive board formulated in the equality plan points the way in this regard and is accompanied by a gender-sensitive communication concept.
The Staff Unit for Equal Opportunities in Research Funding takes steps to achieve the following objectives:
- ensure the quality of the collected data and identify links in the existing data (data monitoring),
- achieve balanced participation of scientists and representatives of the research community within the scope of the processes of the FWF (application and funding decisions),
- increase the visibility and career opportunities of women and the underrepresented gender in the national science system (communication).
Implementation takes place in accordance with the following principles:
- “Fix the Numbers” – increase the participation of women and underrepresented groups in science,
- “Fix the Institutions” – improve the general conditions in the institutions by dismantling barriers and modifying structures,
- “Fix the Knowledge” – improve knowledge by integrating sex and gender analyses into science and technology (“Gendered Innovations”).