This funding program is aimed at researchers from all disciplines.
The Principal Investigator Projects program gives researchers the opportunity to carry out thematically clearly defined research projects limited to a specific duration and to devote themselves to investigating individual research questions.
Funding period and funding amount
- Maximum 48 months
- Depending on the proposed research, project-specific funds (personnel and non-personnel costs) can be applied for. The number of reviews required depends on the amount of funding requested.
- The applicant has the academic qualifications needed to lead the proposed research project
- Project to be carried out at an Austrian research institution with the necessary infrastructure
- For further details, please see the application guidelines.
- Decided by the Scientific Board based on an international review process
- Five approval meetings per year
Co-financing option with the Matching Funds initiative
Rolling submissions using the online application portal elane.
Austrian Science Fund (FWF) and, if applicable, other funding agencies
Staff members of the specialist departments