One focus of the Competence Unit Molecular Diagnostics at the AIT is the identification and validation of blood and saliva derived biomarkers of several complex diseases. In order to investigate and understand the communication between brain, blood and saliva during these diseases, novel cell culture models of involved biological barriers such as the blood-brain barrier as well as other epithelia are needed. The intern would be engaged with the establishment, characterization and validation of novel cell culture models and their application for relevant topics of biomarker research.
Current hot topics are:
- Development of hiPSC-derived blood-brain barrier models as NAM (new approach methodology) for neurotoxicity testing
- Effects of nanoplastics on cells of the neurovascular unit
- Role and interaction of extracellular vesicles with biological barriers
FUNDING OF MASTER’S THESES IS POSSIBLE VIA FEMtech-INTERNSHIPS
• Establishment of cell cultivation and treatment protocols of barrier in-vitro models • Analysis using functional barrier assays, immunofluorescence microscopy, qPCR and western blotting • optionally omics technologies (RNAseq, DNA-methylation, targeted proteomics) • Data analysis
• Master program students in life sciences or related fields (Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Biotechnology, Pharmacy, et cetera) • Experimental skills in cell culture, molecular biology and protein chemistry techniques • Quality driven and critically thinking personality
Internship for 6 months starting with May 2023 and later.
Place of employment at the AIT: Giefinggasse 4, 1210 Vienna
Up to 1.400 EUR gross monthly salary
FUNDING OF MASTER’S THESES ARE POSSIBLE AND PREFERRED VIA FEMtech-INTERNSHIP
AIT – Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH
Giefinggasse 4, 1210 Vienna
12. Jänner 2024
Prof. DI Dr. Winfried Neuhaus