As Austria's largest research and technology organisation for applied research, we are dedicated to make substantial contributions to solving the major challenges of our time, climate change and digitalisation. To achieve our goals, we rely on our specific research, development and technology competencies, which are the basis of our commitment to excellence in all areas. With our open culture of innovation and our motivated, international teams, we are working to position AIT as Austria's leading research institution at the highest international level and to make a positive contribution to the economy and society.
Our research unit Bioresources located in Tulln (in immediate vicinity to Vienna) invites applications for a PhD Thesis position. Our team includes world-leading experts in deciphering plant-microbe interactions with elaborated methodological skills and profound scientific insights in the ecology and physiology of fungi, bacteria and plants.
This PhD project is scheduled for three years and together with a team of experts you will analyse new ways to improve the production of soya bean using their microbial partners in an international project environment.
Join our AIT PhD programme with around 150 international students, carried out in cooperation with renowned universities.
PHD THESIS “EXPLORING THE LINK BETWEEN THE MICROBIOME AND SOYA BEAN PRODUCTION AND SEED QUALITY”
Center for Health & Bioresources
- This PhD project is embedded in an EU project that address the efficient utilisation and integration of microbiome-based solutions for sustainable improvement of the production and safety of soya bean under field conditions.
- For this, various techniques will be applied and combined, including molecular analyses of soya bean roots/rhizosphere and seeds microbiomes in greenhouse experiments and field trails, determining colonization efficiency of microbial strains of interest using different molecular combined with bioinformatic techniques, analyzing the effect of microbial partners and different agronomic practices on plant physiology.
- You will engage in independent scientific planning, execution of experiments as well as evaluation and scientific interpretation of your results and publishing your research results at conferences and in international peer-reviewed journals.
- You will gain experience in a group of international scientists and build up your professional network.
- You will become part of a large European research project and build up your scientific profile in cooperation with the European research community.
YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AS AN INGENIOUS PARTNER:
- Completed master’s studies (MSc.) in microbiology, plant sciences, or related fields.
- Good knowledge of molecular techniques
- Experience in plant growth experiments beneficial
- Experience in data analysis (e.g. R) is useful
- High level on interest in agronomic microbiology and plant-microbe interactions
- Strong team skills, independent work, organizational talent, and Strong sense for responsibility
- Interested in reading and writing scientific publications and enjoy application-oriented questions from industry
- High level of commitment and team spirit
- Good English language and presentation skills are essential, German language skills are an asset
- Duration of the PhD project: 3 years
- Start date: ideally 01.04.2024 – However there is some flexibility concerning the start-date
WHAT TO EXPECT:
EUR 34.507,20 gross per year, for 30 h / week. In addition to numerous events, seminars and networking opportunities, there will be additional company benefits. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of PhD theses, and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
At AIT diversity and inclusion are of great importance. This is why we strive to inspire women to join our teams in the field of technology. We welcome applications from women, who will be given preference in case of equal qualifications after taking into account all relevant facts and circumstances of all applications.
TOMOWRROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Please submit your documents including your CV, cover letter and your certificates online: https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/225056
For further information please contact:
Dr. Hanna Koch, Hanna.Koch(at)ait.ac.at
Microbiology, Plant Sciences, Microbiomes
01. April 2024
29. Februar 2024
AIT Austrian Institute of Technology