Gottfried and Vera Weiss Prize 2023
On behalf of the “Dr. Gottfried and Dr. Vera Weiss Science Foundation”, the FWF has issued a new call for project proposals in the field of of anaesthesiology and related disciplines. In the 2023 call, funding is available for projects that address anaesthesiology-related research questions in the following contexts:
- Intensive care;
- Pain management and palliative care;
- Emergency medicine.
For further details on the objectives of the Dr. Gottfried and Dr. Vera Weiss Science Foundation and on the decision-making procedure, please see Information on the Gottfried and Vera Weiss Science Foundation (pdf, 213KB).
The call is open to researchers who work in the fields listed above. The proposed research must have the potential to generate improvements and advances in one of those fields.
Goals/purpose of the prize
- Direct funding for top-notch science and research activities
- Support for junior researchers
Requirements, duration and amount of funding
Weiss Prize applications can be submitted to the following FWF funding programmes: Stand-Alone Projects, Clinical Research (KLIF), ESPRIT or Erwin Schrödinger Fellowships.
In this call, the requirements for applicants as well as the amount and duration of funding are the same as the FWF's requirements and limits for the above-mentioned programmes.
However, the applicant is required to fill out an additional form explaining the relevance of the application to the specific theme of the call.
Additional information on the call
In stand-alone projects and KLIF projects funded by the foundation, general project costs will be automatically increased to 10%. ESPRIT projects and Erwin-Schrödinger-Fellowships will receive 5% more budget.
Applications submitted under this call in the Stand-Alone Projects programme are not subject to the limit on the number of ongoing projects (“3 projects regulation (pdf, 68KB)”)
When and how to apply
- Start: 1st February 2023
- Deadline: 31st May 2023 (date of postmark), the possibility to submit via elane ends at 2:00 pm local time Vienna/Austria.
- Applications are to be submitted in accordance with the application guidelines either for the Stand-Alone Projects, KLIF projects, Esprit or Erwin Schrödinger Fellowship.
- Funding decisions will be made by the management of the Weiss Foundation on the basis of the FWF Board’s suggestions.
- The decisions can be expected in November / December 2023.
The Weiss Foundation will make a total of €200,000.00 available for this call. Should the resources required for a project that is considered worthy of funding by the foundation exceed the amount provided by the foundation, the FWF will fund the difference from its own budget.
Applications that receive outstanding reviews but cannot be funded by the foundation will be funded by the FWF; in such cases, however, the special arrangement regarding additional general project costs will no longer apply.
- Applications to the Stand-Alone Projects programme: Gerit Oberraufner or the relevant scientific project officers in the FWF's specialist departments.
- Applications to the Erwin Schrödinger Fellowship programme (with a return phase) or ESPRIT programme: FWF staff in the Strategy – Career Development department