Gottfried and Vera Weiss Prize 2022
On behalf of the “Dr. Gottfried and Dr. Vera Weiss Science Foundation”, the FWF has issued a new call for project proposals in the field of meteorology and related disciplines. In the 2022 call, funding is available for projects that address meteorology-related research questions in the following contexts:
- Climate Research / Climate Crisis / climate impact research;
- Atmospheric Research;
- Environmental Research / Environmental Problems / Sustainability
For further details on the objectives of the Dr. Gottfried and Dr. Vera Weiss Science Foundation and on the decision-making procedure, please see Information on the Gottfried and Vera Weiss Science Foundation (pdf, 213KB).
The call is open to researchers who work in the fields listed above. The proposed research must have the potential to generate improvements and advances in one of those fields.
Goals/purpose of the prize
- Direct funding for top-notch science and research activities
- Support for junior researchers
Requirements, duration and amount of funding
Weiss Prize applications can be submitted to the following FWF funding programmes: Stand-Alone Projects, ESPRIT or Erwin Schrödinger Fellowships.
In this call, the requirements for applicants as well as the amount and duration of funding are the same as the FWF's requirements and limits for the above-mentioned programmes.
However, the applicant is required to fill out an additional form in elane explaining the relevance of the application to the specific theme of the call (see additional information on applications (pdf, 61KB)).
Additional information on the call
In Stand-Alone Projects funded by the foundation, general project costs will be automatically increased to 10%. ESPRIT Projects and Erwin Schrödinger Fellowships will receive 5% more budget.
Applications submitted under this call are not subject to the limit on the number of ongoing projects (“3 projects regulation (pdf, 67KB)”)
When and how to apply
- Start: 1st February 2022
- Deadline: 31st May 2021 (date of postmark), the possibility to submit via elane ends at 2:00 pm local time Vienna/Austria.
- Applications are to be submitted in accordance with the application guidelines either for the Stand-Alone Projects, ESPRIT or Erwin Schrödinger programme.
- Funding decisions will be made by the management of the Weiss Foundation on the basis of the FWF Board’s suggestions.
- The decisions can be expected in November / December 2022.
The Weiss Foundation will make a total of €200,000.00 available for this call. Should the resources required for a project that is considered worthy of funding by the foundation exceed the amount provided by the foundation, the FWF will fund the difference from its own budget.
Applications that receive outstanding reviews but cannot be funded by the foundation will be funded by the FWF; in such cases, however, the special arrangement regarding additional general project costs will no longer apply.